July 26, 2011

Choosing the Right Countertop

This past week, I was on vacation in North Dakota for a couple of family reunions. From my previous post Aging in Place: UniversalDesign, you found out my grandmother is doing a little remodeling to help her and grandpa get around the house. This past winter grandma decided it was time for new countertops. This upgrade may not help them get around easier, but it does boost the spirits and make the house more livable. The previous countertops were an old white laminate with gold flecks throughout the top.
With this light surface, it was very easy to see any crumbs or drink stains that were left behind. I will never forget those white tops and all the memories made in that kitchen.  It was time for a change!



Grandmas choose a laminate surface again, but with a lot more color and movement. The color blends well with the cabinets and surrounding materials. This is a color that will not show scratches easily or those drink stains. It is amazing how much the kitchen changed with just new countertops.
When I saw the tops for the first time, I immediately asked grandma how she liked them. This is what she said, “Oh they are very nice, but I can’t see the crumbs.” So the debate is on, to see or not to see the crumbs. What do you think?

0 comments: