April 13, 2011

Does Your Child Like to Help Cook


The little person at our house is very curious about cooking and always wants to be on the counter when I am working at the stove. He likes to see thing boil and watch me stir what is in the pot. I am always nervous about him being so close to the stove and often times find him an activity to do while I am cooking. I like it that he is interested in cooking because I want to teach him how to cook for when he is out on his own one day, but the safety concern is so great.


This may be my answer! The induction cook top

What is induction?  A powerful, high-frequency electromagnet, placed under the unit's ceramic surface. When a magnetic material--such as a cast-iron skillet--is placed in the magnetic field that the element is generating, the field induces energy into that metal. That transferred energy causes the metal—the cast-iron skillet--to become hot. By controlling the strength of the electromagnetic field, we can control the amount of heat being generated in the skillet. The wonderful part about this type of cooking is that the ceramic surface only becomes hot when a pan is placed on top of it. When the pan is removed, the surface cools faster than a regular conventional cook top. You still have the safety concern with hot food in the pots and pans, but this does alleviate some of the concern and makes it a bit easier to have the little person watch me cook.

0 comments: