April 18, 2011

An Island Please


 This weekend I used my kitchen in a different way than I normally do and what a difference it made. I usually stand in the corner between the stove and sink to chop all vegetables, but this time I took the vegetables to the table. My husband was browning chicken for fajitas and since our kitchen is really a one person kitchen, I decided to sit at the table and cut the peppers and onions. My son was sitting across from me and as soon as I made the first cut, he was there to eat the fresh peppers (yellow peppers are his favorite). Having the whole family help with meal preparation is a great way for bonding and teaching. For the first time in six years, I looked at my kitchen in a whole new way. Our table is really an extension of the kitchen and since it is close, I will be using it as “island” from now on.

0 comments: